Estimated reading time: 2 min
RMJM Dubai have been going from strength to strength over the past year, with a number of impressive achievements. These include being shortlisted for two Identity Design Awards, having two projects chosen to feature at d3 RIBA Guild Architecture Festival and achieving a prestigious LEED Gold Certification for their landmark Gate Avenue project, becoming their first commercial development to achieve LEED accreditation and the first retail and leisure development in the entire Middle East to be awarded Gold certification.
To celebrate their successes over the last 12 months, we thought we would share some lesser-known facts about the studio.
- RMJM was the first registered international consultant to be employed by Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashi Al Maktoum.
- In 2016 RMJM Dubai designed their own offices in the sought-after location of d3.
- RMJM Dubai hosts the Pro studio RMJM PIM.
- 22 nationalities are represented at RMJM Dubai! They have members from Australia, Algeria, Syria, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Palestine, Turkey, Bangladesh, Ireland, South Africa, Egypt, Greece, India, Japan, Ukraine, Serbia, Iran, UK, Morocco and, of course, the UAE!
- The tallest building they have worked on was the Marina Heights Tower in Dubai which is 208m high. Dubai is one of only 9 cities to have more than 100 skyscrapers that are 150m or taller!
- One of RMJM Dubai’s earliest and most iconic projects in Dubai is the Camel Grandstand, helping establish the first permanent camel racetrack in UAE.
- The studio is split 60% women and 40% men. Globally women only make up around 28% of the architecture industry, so RMJM Dubai are proudly bucking the trend!
- In 2019 RMJM were nominated for the Middle East Consultant Awards for the Gender Diversity Champion of the Year category.
- The Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre, designed by RMJM Dubai, opened in 2003 to host the 58th IMF World Bank Conference.
- The Holiday Inn project led by RMJM Dubai has celebrated over 8 million safe man-hours.
- The RMJM Dubai designed Innovation Hub is home to Silicon Valley’s very own Hewlett-Packard’s Middle East HQ! The tech giant was announced as the first partner in the project in 2018.
- Gate Avenue at DIFC was awarded a Cityscape Global Award 2017, the 8th Cityscape Award that RMJM has received since 2009.
- In 1998, RMJM were responsible for the structural and building services engineering for the golf clubhouse and the 100 berth marina clubhouse. It earned the project a place on the UAE Dirham, the country’s currency.